||Abergavenny-Merthyr Section (ex L.N.W. Ry.): New 2-6-2T Nos. 1202/4 are now working regularly on this section, while No. 1203 is shedded at Tredegar for the Sirhowy Valley line; and returns to Abergavenny Junction shed for washout on Sundays. Thus, the old Webb 0-6-2 'Coal' tanks have once more been displaced and only the 2.20 p.m. ex Abergavenny Junction (returning with the 4.43 p.m. from Merthyr) is rostered for a 'Coal' tank; actually the train has lately had ex L.N.W.R. 0-8-0's, on account of the extreme shortage of 'Coal' tanks. The latter type are used for banking G.W.R. trains northwards from Abergavenny, and despite their age may come into their own again in the winter months when, some train crews think, the new 2-6-2T will not manage the very long banks of about 1 in 40. During the week-end September 13/14 only two 0-8-4T (ex. L.N.W.R.) were on Abergavenny Junction shed. They were Nos. 7937 an 7944. It is understood that only two are allocated here; this is a considerable reduction when compared with the 1930's when eighteen* of the class were allocated to this shed (for supplying both Blaenavon and Tredegar). The class has never been permitted beyond Morlais Junc. (B. & M. Ry. Junc.) into Merthyr-at least on paper! This also applies to Class '7F' ex L.N.W.R. 0-8-0's Nos. 9395-9454. *In 1932 Nos. 7930-7946 and 7956 were allocated to W31 (Abergavenny) of which six were sub-shedded at W31T (Tredegar) and one at W31B (Blaenavon). Nos. 7947/8 were then at W33 (Swansea) and 7949-55/7-9 were at W26 (Edge Hill).
||Abergavenny-Merthyr Section (ex L.N.W.R.): No ex L.N.W.R. type 0-8-4T's are now stationed at Abergavenny or Tredegar. During the w/e 27/12, new 2-6-2T No. 1204 was at Tredegar and Nos. 1202/3 at Abergavenny. For a considerable time now, G.W.R. drivers and firemen have manned ex L.N.W.R. Coal Tanks for banking purposes northwards from Abergavenny (G.W.R.).
||At Abergavenny both Nos. 1202/3 were on shed and No. 9019 worked the 5.5 p.m. to Merthyr. No. 27654 was banking freight trains up to Llanvihangel and other coal tanks at work were Nos. 7808, 7782 an 7816. No. 1204 was at Tredegar but was being sent to Abergavenny for washout during the weekend and No. 1203 was sent to replace it. The 7.52 p.m. from Tredegar to Newport was worked by No. 9409. It is of interest to note that some of the highest points reached by the railways in Britain are on the Abergavenny-Merthyr line, and its branches, and it is no small tribute to the L.N.W.R. locomotives concerned that they are still entrusted with most of the trains over tne severe gradients encountered
||The Barry Island Sunday excursions, for so long worked by ex-L.N.W. 0-8-0s from this shed are now worked by 66XX tanks. On shed at Tredegar, 21st June were-3700 (86K), 5727, 5768 (86B), 6439 (86A), 6600, 9662, 40098 (86K), 40161 (stored), 40171 (86K), 41201/4.
||Tredegar MPD (in store at Newport Pill)
||Following the allocation of 3712, 7736/87, 8711 an 9662 (w.e. 22/8) the former LMS engines are now in store at Newport Pill viz. 40098/161/71, 41201/4. 40091/145, formerly stored at Pontypool Road, have been returned to the LMR and are at Blackpool and Southport.
||Western Regionboundary changes
||The following former W.R. engines were transferred to the L.M. Region when the depots to which they are allocated became the responsibility of that Region on 1.1.63. The official date of the transfer is December 30th, 1962: D3004/25-9/34-9, D3105-13/5/6/91-4, D3752/5/7, D3950-2/6-8/68-70/73-85/8/95-7, 1002/13/6/9/23/5, 1432/58, 1619/28/32/8/60/3/8, 2210/1/36/89 2845/51/6/66/75/88, 3208/9/17, 3601/5/7/19/25/31/58/60/73, 3709/44/9/70/6/8/82/8/9/92, 3802/6/9/13/5/7/21/5/8/9/31/45/6/9/52/5/7/65, 4105/11/4/20/5/33/40/7-9/53-5/8/65/7/8/71-3/5/6/8/9, 4602/17/45/6/8/65/83/7/96, 4923/46/54/98, 5022/6/31/63/89, 5101/53, 5192, 5606/40/58, 5927/42/83/90/1/4/5, 6129, 6314/64, 6403/24, 6604/9-11/5/8/25/31/2/44/6/63/7/8/71/4/8/9/83/92/4/8, 6803/11/23/7/8/30/1/3/9/42/5/51/3-5/7/8/61/2/4/6/70/1/9, 6903/4/6/7/11/5/6/7/22/5/6/9/30/3/4/52/64/71/6/9/80, 7001/12/4/9/24/6, 7207/18/36, 7414/8/24/6/31/43. 7800-3/6/7/9/10/2/8/9/21-4/7/8, 7905/8/12/5/8/29, 8109, 8464/98, 8718, 9435/63/70/98, 9608/10/3/4/24/30/6/9/46/57/69, 9724/33/53/68/74/82/93, 41201-4/9/31/2/40/1/85, 44835, 45143/5/90, 45283/98, 45406/22, 45572/7, 45660/99, 46401, 46503-27, 48330/47/54/69/402/4/10/2/5/7/8/24/30/6/50/9/60/71/4/5/8, 48724/38/9/68, 73025 6/34-6/90/5/7, 75000/2-4/6/9/20/1/3/4/6/7/9, 78000/2/3/7/8, 80070/8-80/96/8/100/l/2/4/5/31/2/5/6, 82000/3/5/6/9/20/1/31-4, 92001, 92212/3/5/27/8/34/47.
||Shed closure notes (Wellington)
||A 204 h.p. diesel is employed at Clacton on yard pilot duties and a Sulzer diesel from Stratford (30A) based on Colchester diesel depot handles the freight on both Clacton and Walton branches. All W.R. engines working to Crewe now use Crewe South shed and the only regular passenger duty to Wellington and back is rostered to an Ivatt 2-6-2T from Crewe North (using 41204). Heaton's entire allocation was transferred to Gateshead (52A). Hellifield's allocation was transferred to Kingmoor, Lancaster and Skipton. Kings Cross's A4s were transferred to New England and its Bls and V2s were transferred to Doncaster and Mexborough. Grantham still remains open and has acquired all New England's A3s (replaced there by A4s). Newport Pill's few remaining steam engines have moved to Ebbw Junc. which has taken over the complete dieselization of all dock shunts.